Google owns only a bit greater than 92% of the worldwide search engine market, which suggests it’s a vital driver of how individuals search for, and discover, info on the web.
On this submit, uncover key Google search statistics that may provide help to perceive extra about how search phrases, search tendencies, and the way Google search adapts to altering applied sciences.
Desk of Contents
How many individuals use Google?
Google controls 92% of the search engine market share worldwide. That features 72% of the desktop market and 92% of the cell search engine market.
Google’s nearest competitor, Bing, solely holds 2.9% of market share, while Yahoo accounts for 1.1%. The distribution has remained relatively stable over the past few years with Google consistently claiming competitive victory thanks to detailed search results, in-depth analytics, and evolving service offerings.
Consider the rapid uptake of “Google” as a verb meaning, “to search” — “I’ll just Google it,” “can’t you Google that?” “isn’t it on Google?” It’s not an exaggeration to say that when it comes to searching for information online, Google is — by far — the digital frontrunner.
How many Google searches per day?
Google doesn’t share its search volume data. However, it’s estimated Google processes approximately 99,000 search queries every second, translating to 8.5 billion searches per day and approximately 2 trillion global searches per year. The average person conducts between three and four searches each day.
Google also makes efforts to personalize search results, in turn, increasing the chances that users will opt for Google the next time they have a question. For users that aren’t logged into a Gmail or another Google account, the company uses anonymously stored browser cookies to get a sense of search histories and preferences.
For users signed into their Google account, Chrome’s browser history provides the data necessary for Google to construct a profile based on age, language preference, gender and search preferences, which informs the type of search results returned. Location offers an easy example of this approach — if users have location services turned on, Google search results will be filtered by geographic location to increase overall relevance.
Now, let’s look at a few of this year’s top Google Search statistics and take a deeper dive into the trending searches that guide your marketing strategy.
Top Google Search Statistics in 2023
Let’s look at how Google influences search with these latest statistics.
65% of SEOs say Google’s 2023 algorithm updates have positively impacted web traffic and SERP rankings. (HubSpot Blog Research)
70% of web analysts and SEOs say the new AI search will incentivize people to use search engines more than before. (HubSpot Blog Research)
- If generative AI was integrated into search, 75% of web professionals say it would have a positive impact on their blog. (HubSpot Blog Research)
- The top five Google searches in 2020 were “Wordle,” “Election results,” “Betty White,” “Queen Elizabeth,” and “Bob Saget.” (Google)
- 25% of desktop Google searchers end without a click, and 17% of mobile end without a click (Semrush)
- Long-tailed keywords get 1.76x more clicks in organic SERPs. (Backlinko)
- As of April 2023, Google has approximately 83.9 billion visits worldwide. (Statista)
- 89% of URLs and 37% of URLs in positions 1-20 rank differently on mobile and desktop. (SEMRush)
- Professionals ranked Trustworthiness and Expertise as the most important ranking factors in the E-E-A-T framework. (HubSpot Blog Research)
- There are now more than 1.8 billion Gmail users worldwide. (TechJury)
- Compressing images and text could help 25% of web pages save more than 250KB and 10% save more than 1 MB. These changes reduce bounce rates and increase page rank on Google SERPs. (Google)
- As of July 2023, Chrome accounts for 63% of the web browser market share. (Statcounter)
- As of July 2023, 56% of web traffic searches take place on mobile. (Statcounter)
- 54% of consumers use their phones over any other device when looking up a question on a search engine. (HubSpot Blog Research)
- Page titles with a question have a 15% higher CTR than regular titles. (Backlinko)
- Experts think “How to”/question and answer content and review/comparison content will perform best when generative AI is incorporated into search engines. (HubSpot Blog Research)
- In 2020, 500 keywords accounted for 8.4% of all search volume. (Backlinko)
- The average click-through rate for first place on desktop is 27.6%. (Backlinko)
- Four times as many people are likely to click on a paid search ad on Google (63%) than on any other search engine — Amazon (15%), YouTube (9%), and Bing (6%). (Clutch)
- 50% of U.S. consumers use voice search daily. (UpCity)
- 55% of people clicking on Google search ads prefer those to be text ads. (Clutch)
- For every $1 businesses spend on Google Ads, they make an average of $2 in revenue. (Google)
- The average click-through rate in Google Ads across industries in 2023 is 6.11%. (WordStream)
- The average cost-per-click for a keyword is about $0.61. (Backlinko)
- The average cost-per-click in Google Ads in 2023 is $4.22 across all industries. (WordStream)
- Nearly ¼ of web professionals surveyed said direct traffic was their top source of web traffic, followed by organic, then social. (HubSpot Blog Research)
- 19% of Google SERPs show images. (Moz)
- The average keyword is roughly 3-4 words long. (Semrush)
- The average conversion rate in Google Ads across all industries in 2023 is 7.04% (WordStream)
- There are over 192 different country and region-based Google Search engines. (GiT Magazine)
- 25. When Google opened its proverbial doors in September 1998, it only averaged about 10,000 daily search queries. The Search
With search volumes constantly fluctuating in response to world events and evolving news coverage, it’s worth knowing what searches are trending, how quickly they’re ramping up, and how they tie into similar keyword queries.
While one option is a scattershot approach — simply type a potential trend term into Google and see how many total results are reported — more targeted options often provide an easier path to improved search performance.
Let’s review some of the most useful tools available in the section below.
How To Find Trending Searches
- Google Trends
- Think with Google
Review the “Year in Search,” take Google Trends lessons, and see what’s trending now. You can also view the peaks and valleys of topic interest over time, which uncovers seasonality and allows you to plan your marketing calendar accordingly. Plus, find related topics and queries, and identify sub-regions your topic has been trending to better target your campaigns.
2. Think with Google
Discover articles, benchmark reports, and consumer insights that keep you up to speed on search. From ad bidding strategies to brand jingles, you’ll find interesting content that helps you think bigger while staying educated on how to leverage Google search for your business.
Signal on to Twitter for greater than vaguely hostile political debates. Use the “tendencies” function to uncover what’s trending in your state, nation, or across the globe. Once you click on right into a development, you’ll see high tweets concerning the subject, related information tales, and stay responses as properly.
Establish essentially the most shared content material within the earlier 12 months or the final 24 hours with BuzzSumo. BuzzSumo permits you to drill down and analyze the subjects that matter to your business, your rivals, and the influencers you study from.
This RSS feed aggregator permits you to observe your favourite manufacturers and see their most up-to-date content material in a single place. Add your favorites and uncover new publishers by looking your business, abilities, or — you guessed it — trending subjects. Feedly additionally permits you to arrange key phrase alerts, so that you’re all the time monitoring the most recent tendencies on subjects you’re thinking about.
Freshness and user-based voting decide how content material is prioritized on Reddit. A fast go to to the homepage reveals you trending or common posts. And, you may filter by nation or recency for a extra related feed.
Conduct aggressive analysis, residence in on a key phrase, or seek for trending subjects. Ahrefs helps you establish trending content material and reveals you what to do to outrank your rivals.
Pocket permits you to save content material from wherever on the internet. Overview your content material everytime you want and head to the Discover web page to search out trending subjects which are related to you.
Join Quora and choose subject areas that curiosity you (e.g., “startups,” “advertising and marketing,” and “economics”). Quora will inventory your feed with questions associated to your content material pursuits. This provides you perception into what your prospects are asking, real-time debates about rivals, and even permits you to reply questions on subjects you will have expertise in.
Increasing Your Google Impression
Backside line? Google owns the biggest piece of each search and internet browser market shares and supplies a bunch of interconnected companies that empower the corporate to ship customized, real-time search outcomes.
For entrepreneurs, this makes Google an irreplaceable software for enhancing shopper loyalty, courting new shoppers, and enhancing buyer conversions. Armed with actionable development knowledge and related supply statistics, advertising and marketing groups can develop their Google affect and make sure the proper content material will get seen by the correct prospects to jumpstart the gross sales course of.