Google’s website: operator limits search outcomes to a single area. It is among the oldest and most useful instruments for search engine marketing.
To make use of, sort website: adopted by the specified URL (no area) in Google’s search field — e.g., website:sampledomain.com/article.
Right here’s use it for key search engine marketing duties.
Utilizing the website: Operator
1. Discover inner pages to hyperlink to
The website: operator is helpful for finding related inner pages rapidly.
Search optimizers as soon as used the operator to know which pages Google prioritized for any question. However that’s not dependable as a result of outcomes for website: usually are not based mostly on intent, earlier searches, and even freshness — as is the case for different queries.
Nonetheless, the website: operator usually surfaces a search-optimized web page for every question, so I proceed utilizing it for inner hyperlink choices.
2. Find URLs that shouldn’t be listed
Google’s Search Console is one of the simplest ways to establish pages that ought to and shouldn’t be listed. But it surely’s not excellent. Generally Search Console lists unindexed URLs which can be really listed. So use Search Console and website: to seek out listed pages that must be blocked, redirected, or canonicalized.
Even higher, run a number of website: operators to verify correctly listed pages, making certain:
- Tag pages usually are not listed: website:area.com inurl:tag
- Backend, admin pages usually are not listed: website:area.com inurl:admin
- Solely https URLs are listed: website:area.com inurl:http or website:area.com -inurl:https
From there, use Search Console’s URL inspection instrument to seek out the explanations for improper indexation.
3. Entry Google’s cache
Google’s cache exhibits how the search engine sees all parts of a web page. A website: search can entry the cache model of a web page by clicking the three vertical dots subsequent to the title within the outcomes. The following “Extra choices” pop-up card will even state how lengthy Google has listed the web page.
4. Preview a site’s search snippets
The content material of natural search snippets is query-dependent. Relying on the search time period, Google could rewrite the web page title, extract on-page content material as an alternative of the meta description, and show website names as an alternative of URLs.
Nonetheless, the website: operator will present:
- The place a snippet is tranсated.
- The web page’s publish date, per Google.
Right here’s a web page preview utilizing the website: operator:
Right here’s what it appears like in a typical search. Observe the date and the title look the identical, however the query-driven snippet under has a special description and website title. It additionally consists of a picture.
5. Discover pages to replace
Google gives a helpful date search choice that hides behind the “Instruments” hyperlink in search outcomes. Select a date vary to seek out all pages Google listed throughout that interval. It’s a fast technique to discover articles to replace, particularly when publishing a associated matter.
I’m conscious of two browser extensions to entry the website: operator rapidly.
- Search Web site WE (Firefox). Spotlight any phrases on a web page and right-click. The extension will seek for these phrases on the present area or subdomain.
- Search the present website (Google Chrome). Click on the extension icon and kind any phrase to provoke Google’s website: seek for the present area.